Powered By Blogger

Monday 4 April 2011

Task 18: Elements of Game Technology, part one: Game Engines??

To be honest I have never used any game engines over my previous years which I definitely regret on not doing. I have used UDK recently as I had to for my group project truthfully speaking when I opened UDK (Unreal development kit) it confused the lot out of me and I just minimized it. When I opened it I was like what I meant to do next. Gladly there were some good tutorials on you tube for the UDK which I checked out as I needed to. There were more tutorials for the UDK than 3D max. After checking the tutorial I re-opened UDK and tested it out and it wasn’t so bad as I thought basically it was exactly like when I started using 3D max like it scared the shit out of me on the first time I opened it and now it’s like a regular thing. With the UDK it has different short cut buttons which could get confusing with 3D max as I had problems with using 3D max after using the UDK. You start to get comfortable with the UDK shortcuts and soon as you open 3D max you start using the shortcut buttons that is used for the UDK.


Anyway I did some research and UDK is one of the best game engines as it holds more than some other engines. For example there are other engines that hold one texture or asset each time and then start to render in the scene which could take forever where as the UDK it could load the whole texture and assets in one go which is quicker than the quake 3 engines and a lot more. Plus the UDK holds more tutorials than any other engine so basically it would be stressful using an engine that you are using for the first time without any tutorials where as the UDK you could learn instantly with the tutorials on you tube. UDK has definitely have more advantages than the quake 3D or other engines but there might be other engines that are better than UDK.
Here is a site that explains all the best game engines and the advantages and disadvantages it holds....you must check it out...

http://techhall.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/the-5-most-powerful-game-engines-of-all-time/

Brilliant site that explains each engines it explain the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment