Powered By Blogger

Thursday 28 April 2011

Task 22: Life Changing or Career Building?

Well some university might hold the requirements for a job in the game industry and some may not. Like I know a friend who goes to the Birmingham University and he does the same course as me. I asked him a question in general on how was your first year? And what you learnt? Etc. He replied “my first year wasn’t too bad it was kind of easy to be fair mate and for my final project I did a flag on 3D max”. I was like what! Like for my final project it was to create a character on 3D max which is one of the toughest projects. I could say that I’m fortunate to be in the university that I am in now as they make you cover most of the requirements needed for a job. Plus the university kind of have a connection between the BLITZ game company and couple of students made it in and some made it in Naughty Dog’s company. This company created the game uncharted which was one the best game built at a certain point and the graphic were amazing. Students got in because of the experience, talent and hard work. So I must say the tutors know what they talk about and they know what is needed to get into a game company well at least for this university. Some university might not be as fortunate and some may be well that’s how life roles.

Like when I was in school I was always directed to do things but when I got into university it was more of me choosing my path basically it’s more independent. Like mike said the first year of university the student are like puppies and we show three directions that relate to game company which are 3Dmax, Visual design (drawing skills) and critical study. See I use to think that you could just focus on one area but most of the game company require it all so you will have to get good with the three areas as its important for you to get a job. When you get in to the second year the tutors get of your back and let you go off for a bit and on the 3rd year they completely let you go. You basically have master project where is totally up to you what direction you want to go to and what you want to do. This is when you actually experience the reality of independency.

See basically I’m not saying that the tutor controls my future they just direct me to the right path and when I become mature and independent this is where I choose my own path. Art is never limited it just keeps expanding and expanding I personally think that you can’t master a program or media just get really good at it cause they will always change every few years like the program could completely change and medias might be different to the original if you know what I’m saying....

No comments:

Post a Comment