Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 5 April 2011

Task 20: An introduction to the Game Industry

Here is some research I did it basically shows the growth of the game industry from the 1970’s to the 2000’s I thought it will be best if you had a basic knowledge of the growth before you’re entered the industry. So check the site out...it’s under history =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_industry#Overview

Here are a few more sites that will be good to check out....

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/416/the_game_industry_salary_survey_2007.php

http://www.gamesrecruit.co.uk/Index.aspx

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110314012432AAoVE9d

http://www.stibbe.net/Writing/Games_Industry/recruitment.htm

Basically the sites above mention about the salary, about the recruiting system and basic information on what you will need to get in the industry.
Industries are looking for anyone who has experience on having the degree of a game art course with major experience with 3D max, animation, UDK, 2D and Z-brush plus you will have to have a good CV or covering letter if it’s requested and a brilliant portfolio. If anyone has the qualification I just stated above have thumbs up but the journey doesn’t finish there. Like mike mentioned on one of the lecture... “Before you start year 2 you should check some game industries and check what skills are required...some you might have and some you wouldn’t but you shouldn’t worry because you will have the last two years of university to tick all the missing boxes”. Even though you haven’t ticked all the boxes you should apply every few months so they would be able to see you passion for the game industry not only that but your improvements as well. I mentioning all this have really put me on the spot. Right now I should be applying for jobs and start designing my portfolio i will start on that as soon as possible...I really think this blog is a wakeup call =D

I have asked a lot of previous 3rd years who are now employed in the game industry they always managed to mention something which was “always update your CV....always”!
Yes I seriously think this blog was one of the best/ useful blog as it woke me up and made me realise that I need to start designing my portfolio and start applying! Well I will start on this as soon as I get all my work done!!

http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/beginners.html

After I checked the site above it hit me hard! As many people do they work for money!! After reading the site above it made me realise that I shouldn’t apply for games just because of the money as most of them could be a normal budgeted salary. It’s not me being greedy it’s just me trying to secure my future this is why money was my big concern. The site above mentions a lot about the game industry it mentions the roles, about the job, degree that is needed and to improve my chances in game industry. It also stated that the UK has around 270 game industries which is a brilliant for more information check the site out above but it did mention it is really challenging to get into! now that i got a quick idea of what a game company wants i will need to start ticking the boixes within the two years i got.

No comments:

Post a Comment